Whilst shopping this weekend, I came across a set of gorgeous cat shaped cookie cutters at Muji. As I love baking and I love cats – I knew that I had to have them!
Sunday morning my kitchen turned into a cookie factory, with trays of cookies going in and out of the oven, spreading a delicious freshly-baked-cookie smell throughout the house.
The cookies turned out to be amazing and if you are looking for a recipe, here it is:
For 20+ cat-shaped, spicy cookies you will need:
-350 g. of flour
– 250 g. of brown sugar
– 250 g. of unsalted butter (room temperature)
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp. of “four spice mix” (mix of pepper, cloves, nutmeg and ginger)
– 1 tsp. of cinnamon (put 2 tsps if you don’t have the “four spice mix”)
– ½ tsp. of baking powder
– ½ tsp. of salt
- With a hand or mechanic mixer, beat the butter and the sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until the mixture until it is well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Start adding the flour mixture to the butter and sugar, and beat at medium speed until combined.
- Form the dough into a ball and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, take out the dough and separate it into 2 equal parts. Roll out each part separately between two sheets of baking paper. Due to high amount of butter in the dough, it will be very sticky, which is why, you need to roll it out using baking paper. Leave the rolled out dough in the freezer for 20 mins.
- While the dough is chilling, pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Once the dough has hardened, dip the cookie cutters into flour and cut out the shapes. Place the shapes onto a new sheet of baking paper and leave the shapes in the fridge for another 10 mins to harder (this will help the cookies keep their shape when baked).
- Once your cookies have cooled, bake them for 10 mins., just once the ends start turning brown. Make sure you watch the cookies when they are in the oven as they can burn quickly if left too long!